Sunday, June 20, 2010

Cousins First, Then Friends 2


“Why aren’t there any women priests in our church?”

Without even looking up from her cup of wafers, she answered, “I don’t think there are any women priests in any church.” She was one year older than me, but I don’t think you would guess it if you didn’t already know it.

“Well, why not?” I questioned.

“I dunno. I don’t think the church likes women too much.” I rolled with laughter.

“Yeah, right. You don’t see the men walking around in those crazy get-ups! They make the women look like a bunch of penguins.” We both giggled then. Once we calmed down again, the conversation turned serious.

“I’m gonna be like Mother Theresa when I grow up,” I said to not really anyone in particular.

“I’m gonna be a model” replied Anne Marie.

After she thought for a few minutes, she said, “Why you wanna go and be that? I think you have to be real old. Mother Theresa has a lot of wrinkles.”

“I don’t know. It just seems like something I want to do.” I shrugged. Anne Marie shrugged, too.

“Okay, well, maybe I’ll give you some money to feed all those kids then. I’m gonna have lots of money! But don’t expect me to go out there with you because I can’t be all dirty and be a model.”

I cackled, “Who says you have to get dirty?”

“Don’t you see them pictures of those people. They are dirty!”

“They ain’t dirty. That’s their color!” I rolled my eyes. “Anyway, I don’t mind getting dirty.”

“I know you don’t, but I’ll have a reptation to uphold.”

It was my turn to be the priest, and I dunked the wafer into our grape juice. “Mother Theresa is a nun, Tammy. You gonna be a nun?”

"I dunno. I don’t like the ones at our school too much. They are pretty scary. Mother Theresa seems okay, though. I wonder if you can be a reglar person and still be a missionary?” My mind wandered off as I placed the wafer onto Anne Marie’s tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment