Friday, June 4, 2010

Confession (continued)


“I didn’t listen to my Nan…um…”

He waited. I thought about it. Ten sounded good. It wasn’t less, and surely it could not be that much more.

“…Ten times. I pulled my dog’s tail one time, but that was really only to get her back for biting me. Does that count?”

Father shook his head in the affirmative. “Continue.”

“I don’t think that should count. ‘An eye for an eye’, right, Father?”

“Jesus said you should turn the other cheek.”

“Oh, yeah…right. So they lied when they said ‘an eye for an eye’?”

“No, Tammy, that was the Old Testament. I think we should finish up. Sister is waiting.”

I glanced over in her direction. She looked back sternly. I shuttered and went on, “Oh.”

Then “Okay. Well, I climbed out my bedroom window to fly my kite, but I don’t think that should count. My dad already beat my behind for that one. I can prove it too. It’s still plum red!” I stood up to point at my backside, but Father quickly grabbed my arm and gently pulled me back down as Sister watched intently.

“Are you finished yet, child?”

"Well…goodness no!” My mind raced over all the things I still needed to confess, and I proceeded cautiously. “I didn’t go to church last Sunday…um…or the week before. I’m not sure about the week before that either…” Father didn’t look sure he should ask, but then he did.

“Why haven’t you been going to Mass?” I swallowed my gum that I had been hiding all morning!

“To be honest, Father, it really puts me to sleep. I figured I can do that in my own bed.” Was his face red? It sure did look it, but then the yellow lights seemed to shadow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment