Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Day in the Life of Me, Part Two

I rolled my eyes in response and huffed and grumbled as I yanked my bedclothes off and threw on my uniform. "I don't know why I have to go to this dumb school anyway. I hate it!" I pronounced vehemently.

Nan seemed tired and distracted as she thrust a bowl of cereal at me. I swirled my spoon in it, not feeling very hungry. Bobby plopped himself into the chair next to me, not in a much better mood than the rest of us. Only Kevin, who sat in his high chair feeding Fruit Loops to the dog, seemed cheerful and oblivious to whatever was affecting us. I guess at 2 his life was still pretty simple, although mine never had been even at that age. Watching Kevin as he giggled playfully, I felt a tiny bit envious.

My mom rushed down the steps calling out, "Bobby, let's go or we are both going to be late." I looked at Bobby sympathetically as he shoved down one last bite of his cereal into his mouth and washed it down with a gulp of his juice. Kevin wiggled in his seat, chanting, "Ma ma, ma ma" excitedly. Hearing him she ran into the kitchen, passed by me, and kissed him goodbye. "Be good for Nanny," and off she went with Bobby not far behind her.

Nan, having observed the whole thing, put her dishrag down, walked over to the table, and kissed the top of my head. "She was in a rush that's why she forgot you." I sometimes wondered if Nan knew how ridiculous her excuses sounded for my parents' weaknesses. I shrugged, deciding it was better to let her think I believed her, and in a low voice I mumbled, "It's okay. I know."

As I trodded off to school, dragging my schoolbag behind me, and my tin lunchbox dangling from my other hand, I felt a presence beside me. I didn't look because I knew no one I could see would be there, I always walked to school alone. It didn't speak this time, but its silence spoke volumes and suddenly I didn't feel so all alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment