Sunday, July 18, 2010

Attempted Kidnapping (Part 3)

“Nan!” I whined loudly. “Tell Richie to go away. He keeps bothering me.” My grandmother, annoyed at being interrupted while she was trying to get dinner on, tugged on his ear and pulled him clear into the kitchen by it. Ouch!

“Where was I? Oh, yeah. Anyway, they told us they needed help finding the lost prince of Aramon, and my stupid cousin almost fell for it!” I explained to the fuzz that I had to turbo us out of there, but I gave Anne Marie a talking to. I had told her that anyone with any brains knows that there is no prince on Aramon, only a princess. Those bozos actually thought we’d buy it! Of course, if it had been up to my cousin, we would be dangling by our toes in some pod in Nowhere Land, which is where no man or girl wants to go. Trust me on that!

Afterward the good cop/bad cop spoke to my mom and Nan. Since adults like to talk like kids aren’t really there, I got to hear what was said. Nan inquired of Officer Paul what would happen now. Officer Jack snorted, “Not much. We have a description of a maroon car and a beat-up silver spaceship, two Caucasian males with blond hair versus two darkhaired aliens…”

Officer Paul gave Officer Jack a nudge with his elbow into his side. “Ma’am, what my partner is trying to say is that it’s not unusual for children to remember things like this differently. We will alert nearby schools and patrol the playgrounds. If anything comes up, we will be sure to contact you.”

As they were leaving I yelled out, “Bye, Officer Paul!” He turned, smiled, and then, as if he had another thought, came over and squatted in front of me. “You did a great job of protecting yourself and your cousin from those bad men today. You did the right thing.” I beamed at him.

"Thank you!” I replied politely.

They were just about out the door when I yelled, “Hey, Officer Jack, watch out for the dark forces!” I heard him mumble something about watching too much “Star Trek.” What do you know? My dad liked that show, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment